2008-03-12

MeMe

Woohoo!!! I've been tagged! =)

The other day I was checking for something new on the blog that inspired me to create my own... Musings from a Rambling Mind. The lovely one who writes it, Sam, has become very dear to me. A total cheerleader always full of encouragement no matter how wacky my latest endeavor actually is (and many of them are quite wacky, I'll admit!!). So I popped over to Sam's blog to read her latest entry only to discover I'd been tagged. I was so excited... {insert Snoopy Dance here} I was telling DJ and I was all "oh yay!!! Sam tagged me with a meme in her blog!!! can ya believe it??? me!!!! she tagged ME in her blog!!! oh sure, she had to tag 7 of us but never mind that, I'm just thrilled she chose me! ohmigosh, she tagged me!!!" and he goes "uhmmm... okay... you're excited... that's good... but can ya say it again, in ENGLISH this time?" hahahaha Poor guy has no understanding of this kind of stuff! LOL!! But that's okay, I love him jusssst the same :)



As I understand it, these are the rules:

1. Once you are tagged, link back to the person who tagged you. (check!)

2. Post THE RULES on your blog. (check! check!)

3. Post 7 weird or random facts about yourself on your blog. ({insert screetching tire sound here}... hmmm... gotta think about these)

4. Tag 7 people and link to them.

5. Comment on their blog to let them know they have been tagged.

Seven weird or random facts about myself...

Random Fact #1....
I've been to Iceland

In either 1999 or 2000 my fiance-at-the-time and I were planning a trip to Europe. I'd been to Paris before (really bad experience traveling with exceptionally cheap people) but this time would be different. My fiance-at-the-time was a serious traveller... he'd been all over the place. Being more experienced (and much more picky than me), I let him pretty much plan everything. The least expensive flight to France included a stop-over in Reykjavik, Iceland... and to even lower the cost we planned a 2-day stay over. Iceland is an amazing country and I truly hope to make it back there one day when I have more time to spend. The scenery is beautiful, the people are super friendly and the food is really different!!! My favorite place on the trip was The Blue Lagoon. Definitely click on that link and explore their site because my words could never begin to do justice to the fantastic experience known as the Blue Lagoon in Grindavik Iceland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Fact #2....
I'm training to run my first 5k

Last November I entered my first 5k. No training and other than "what time do I have to wake up for this" there was no pre-planning. The city in which I live has it's own Marathon each year in November and it includes a 5k run/walk. With no training and no prep, I most assuredly did a 5k walk. I was hoping to complete the course in under an hour... and I did... 53 minutes. I was pleased... but not satisfied. I started the C25k (couch-to-5k) program in January... and quickly returned to just walking because to be honest, I hate running. Hate it with a passion. As my friend C likes to say "I'd rather lick the kitchen floor clean than run 1 mile" We both feel the same way and she turned me on to the C25k program because it worked for her. Well, DJ and I both started in January and he did very well with it. He's up to running a 5k in about 35 minutes now.... and me? Well, I can walk a 5k in about 45 minutes now. Nothing to be proud of... in fact, it's downright embarassing. So, last week, once again, I started the C25k program and my goal is to run my first 5k this year. Run the whole thing... no walking... no stopping... no breaks... nothing but running for the full 5k course. That's 3.2miles... I can do this. Right now my goal is not at all about time - it's just about running the whole way. I can do this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Fact #3....
In a past life I was a cake decorator... and got paid for it!

About 12 years ago I worked with a very nice woman, A. She wasn't all that bright, but she made up for it with how nice she was. She took a Wilton cake decorating class at a local craft store and brought one of her cakes in to work. I was in awe of how this woman could make such a beautiful cake having never done it before and only being in the Level 1 class. That's about the time my "if-she-can-do-it-so-can-I" mentality kicked in. Instead of taking the Wilton class at the craft store, I enrolled in the Wilton Level 1 course at my local community college (it was just down the street from my house... how conveeeeeenyent! LOL). Well, I finished that level 1 course and enrolled in level 2... enjoyed that so much that I enrolled in level 3... and before I knew it I was making cakes every week! Coworkers, neighbors and friends were impressed with my cakes and started asking me to make them. I even got requests for wedding cakes! I loved it.... every single minute of it... except, sadly, people were cheap. They had no appreciation for how much money went in to making the cake (from scratch, thankyouverymuch) and how much time and effort went in to decorating it. People would comment "wow, that's expensive... I can buy a box of Duncan Hines cake mix for $0.99... doesn't seem like it should cost you that much more". I'd smile sweetly and nod my head while inside I was screaming "well, then go ahead and do that!!!" Dealing with customer orders and cheap people kinda sucked the enjoyment out of doing cakes... and I stopped doing it altogether. But since I have been paid to make and decorate cakes for people I can call myself a Professional Cake Decorator hahahahaha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Fact #4....
I took a job and moved across country... by myself... sight unseen

In April 1992 I was living in SoCal and working for "P"co. My boss and I went on a business trip to Baltimore, MD and we had 6 hours to ourselves one day. We took the train into Washington DC, walked out of Union Station and I saw the US Capitol Building. I knew right then and there that I wanted to move to Washington DC. Fast forward 3 years and a company in the DC metropolitan area posted a job listing in the Los Angeles Times newspaper for exactly the kind of work I do. I read the description and knew that was my job... just waiting for me. I sent my resume, they selected 30 of us for phone interviews... then they flew out to LA to interview 12 of us in person... and I was thee one offered the job. YAY ME!!! And of those they interviewed, the 11 others were men. HAHAHAHAH YES! I had won out over the boys (always makes me feel good no matter what the competition! LOL). I kept my SoCal apartment for a while but took the job in DC and over the course of about 3 months moved my entire life... by myself. Was it scary? Sure... but it was totally exhilarating too :) In fact, I highly recommend it! It definitely helped that the new company paid to relocate me... they paid a company to come to my apartment, pack it all up, put my car on their truck, drive all that stuff across country, take my car off their truck AND unpack all the moving boxes. Yeah, that was nice!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Fact #5....
I'm horribly addicted to the internet

It's true... I could spend all day on the internet. There are so many sites to visit... so many things to learn!! I shop. I read newspapers from all over the world. I read blogs. I shop. I search for and review recipes. I shop. I email with tons of people. I shop. DJ basically gets on the computer just to do email. How can he stop at just email when there's the WORLD WIDE WEB just waiting for him to explore it??? And not only could I spend all day at my favorite sites... I'm always looking for new ones! Can ya help an addict out and spare a link? Do me a favor and post a comment or email me and tell me about some of your favorite sites on the net. I can't wait to see what I get!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Fact #6....
I don't like to sleep

Pathetic, isn't it? I've never been a big fan of sleeping... always feel like there's something going on in the world, somewhere, and if I'm asleep I'm going to miss it!!! Sounds rather neurotic, huh? Yup, it is! My sister? She's a champion sleeper. I can't remember when she didn't love to sleep and partake of it as if it were an Olympic sport and she was in training to make the team. DJ is like that too. Given the option, he would sleep all day. I mean aaaaaalllll day. Me? HA! I wake up at 4:30 on weekdays... and on the weekends, 6am is the norm. For me, waking at 7am is absolutely sleeping in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random Fact #7....
I love everything about food.

I love to make it, I love to look at it, I love to smell it, I love to eat it, I love to write about it, I love to talk about it, I love to photograph it, I love to read about it, I love to think about it. I LOVE FOOD!!! I used to say "I love food... but it sure doesn't love me". That's because well, let's be honest, it makes me fat! LOL. The food I love the most must not love me because it makes me fat. Sad, huh? But I think a lot of us feel that way. Last week I was talking to a worker, T, and she gave me a new perspective. She said "honey, you're so wrong about that! don't think that way!! think to yourself 'well, the food MUST love me cuz it wants to hang on'... that's my way of thinking!!!" and then she let out a huge belly-laugh. Now in all fairness, T has never had a weight problem... if anything, she's been underweight her whole life and when she got "big" she really was just normal sized. But T loves food too and we talk about it quite often. And I'm thankful I spoke to T that day because now I have a new perspective... I love food and it sure as hell loves me too! LOL. Could anyone possibly wonder why I write a blog about food? Sure, I could write a blog about laundry... or cars... or kittens... but I'm not passionate about any of those things. I'm passionate about food... especially the sweet stuff... so I blog about that :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know this one's not a random fact so I'm just adding this as a lil tidbit... only 5 days left until my vacation!!! Are you watching that lil ticker countdown on the right? Probably not... but I am!!! Oh yes sir ricky bobby I sure am watching that ticker and counting down the days!! We'll spend 5 days cruising from Los Angeles to Hawaii... and then stop in Hilo, Kona, Maui, Oahu and Kaui... then spend 5 days crusing back. WOOHOO... YIPPEE... CAN'T WAIT!!!

Okay... I'm bragging now... I'll stop. But you were nice enough to read about me... and tolerate my bragging for a bit... so how about telling me something about you and how about you brag for a little bit? I always love hearing from you guys :)

Have a happy day!