2008-04-13

Garlic Herb Beer Bread



Apologies up front - some of my comments in this post may upset some of you.

Okay... now that I got my "disclaimer" out of the way, I'll make a big confession.  I don't like beer.   I don't like the smell of it.  I don't like the taste of it.  I don't like anything about beer.  I'm sure it goes back to when I was 5 years old and we moved from New York to the suburbs of Los Angeles.  When we first moved to the LA area, we rented a house since daddy didn't really know the area yet and wasn't ready to invest his nest-egg prematurely.  The house we rented was just one small street on the other side of the freeway from a huge brewery that was owned by Busch (later merged to be Anheuser-Busch which now sports a sign that just says Budweiser).  The smell was something I never liked and to this day I find the aroma of beer (which I consider to be more of an, ahem, "stench") quite nauseating.  Ugh.  Blech.  Awful.  For me, it's almost as bad as the smell of coffee, but easier to avoid since folks don't typically walk around with open containers of beer or have beer-brewers in their office or make a plethora of beer-flavored/scented products.


Beer bread?  Kinda hard to think I'd like this, I mean, knowing how I feel about the key ingredient... beer.  But on one of my favorite websites (Makeup Alley) lately the food board has been all atwitter about beer bread.  Atwitter is such a cute word.  I really like it :) Another word I really like is ennui - which, when pronounced correctly, actually sounds impressive enough to disguise the actual meaning ;-)  Two other words I like the sound of are loquacious and duplicitous (the former describes a lot of people I know... and the latter perfectly describes a guy I dated  one time). One word I despise however is behove.... ohhhhh... bad word - bad word.... stops me in my tracks!  If I hear it in a sentence or read it in written form, it just stops me cold and I hear/read nothing after.  I know what you're thinking "ah-ha!  there's a story there... wonder what it is?!?!?!" well, you're right there is....   and one day I'll tell ya... but today is not that day because - - -

Anyway, I digress.  

Beer bread.  DH used to like to enjoy a beer but about a year ago he pretty much stopped drinking it.  Rarely these days do we ever have even one bottle in the house.  But I came across a bottle of Budweiser Select in the fridge and decided I was gonna try making beer bread.  Seeing as how DH loves bread... maybe more than I do (hard to imagine! LOL) I knew at least one of us would like this bread even if the beer-taste was in the forefront.  So throwing caution to the wind I whipped up a batch of beer bread... throwing in lots of garlic and herbs in an effort to at least play against the beer-flavor.

So I made Garlic Herb Beer Bread... and... I gotta be honest here since it's all about keepin it real... I could not taste beer in the finished product.  Yay!  Yippee!!  Alright!!!!  WOO-HOO!!!!  This is so easy to make that really you just gotta try it!  Even if you're like me and hate beer.  But if ya love beer, I'm sure you'll find a hearty one to use so that the flavor comes thru :)  Either way, make the beer bread... it's great!!!


Garlic Herb Beer Bread

INGREDIENTS
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon each: dried rosemary, dried oregano, dried thyme
garlic to taste (I use about 4 tablespoons of minced garlic cuz we loooooove garlic!)
12 ounces beer

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 375F

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the beer.  Slowly add in the beer and mix just until combined.   Spread into a greased loaf pan and bake about 45 minutes.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes... remove from the pan and cool 10 more minutes.  That's it!  It's so easy and really tasty.  Try it!!!  Today!!!  Trrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy it :)  You'll be glad you did :)