2008-07-08

Double Crusted Blueberry Pie - TWD


If it's Tuesday, I'm baking with Dorie :) And this week's recipe is the Double Crusted Blueberry Pie from "Baking From My Home To Yours". Believe it or not, I've never had blueberry pie before in my entire life but that certainly didn't stop me because pretty much any way you look at it, I simply LOVE to bake!!

This week's TWD host was Amy at South In Your Mouth and while I did fret over what in the world I was going to do with an entire blueberry pie, I ventured on undaunted. DJ and his son don't eat fruit pies... except for apple. DJ's daughter on the other hand is quite the adventurous eater and would certainly join me in at least trying a slice. The big concern was what to do with the rest of the pie. Let's be honest, ingredients cost money and nothing's getting any cheaper. For me, baking is a hobby... albeit a serious hobby... and I can't actually justify making a whole pie if 90% of it's just going in the bin. Normally I'd take the rest to work or gift it to neighbors. But this week DJ and I will be on vacation (yes, right now as you're reading this I'm enjoying some much needed rest-&-relaxation but thank goodness for Blogger's auto-scheduler feature that keeps the new posts coming!!) and I baked the pie over the Independence Day holiday weekend when all of the "good" neighbors are gone. We're vacationing with one of my absolute dearest friends and her husband who, as luck would have it, just happens to love blueberry pie! Woohoo!!! Dilemma over. Problem solved. I'll take a slice or two more of the pie, freeze it and later break it up and add it to home made vanilla ice cream. Now THAT sounds good! And my girlfriend's husband will have about half a blueberry pie to enjoy :)

Anyway... I digress... a common problem in my blog posts... and if you think this is bad, seeing me in action during a real-live conversation would drive you mad! LOL LOL LOL!



Dorie's recipe for the Double Crusted Blueberry Pie begins with making her Good For Almost Everything Pie Crust. Recall from this post here, I've made the pie crust before. I've made it by hand with less than stellar results because as I mentioned in that post I do not own a food processor. Now go ahead and get ready to have yourself a fun little giggle... or a great big guffaw... when I tell you that this time I thought I'd be smarter and use a blender to make the pie crust. Oh yeah, this was pretty much just as disastrous as last time when I tried doing it by hand. I fussed, I fumed, I cursed up a blue streak and the end result is that I will not make this fantastic tasting pie crust again without a food processor. Sure, I've made other pie crusts before with no problem but Dorie's Good For Almost Everything Pie Crust just causes me way too much stress and the only thing I can figure is when she says you need a food processor for it, she ain't just a whistlin' dixie... she means it! Thank goodness my birthday is this week and I've lamented to DH, my mother and my sister that I really do need a food processor... I'm hoping they'll combine forces and maybe... jussssst maybe... I'll have a big box with a brand new super duper food processor come birthday day :) :) :)

Anyway... I digress... again!


For the filling I used a bag of Trader Joe's Frozen Wild Blueberries. M'mmmm sooooo delish. I didn't realize that wild blueberries are smaller than regular blueberries so when I opened the bag and saw those petite lil berries I was just a tad bit concerned. Did I buy the wrong thing? Nope, the label said wild blueberries. Did someone put the wrong wrapper on these little berries? Hmmm... guess not since now I know wild blueberries are petite!

How does the pie taste? Well, I can honestly say the pie has a very good blueberry flavor. But it's sweet... very very sweet. And that could flat out be my own fault. I'm not really sure. Since I've never had blueberry pie before, I have nothing to compare it to. Perhaps I should have reduced the amount of granulated sugar since I used frozen wild blueberries instead of regular fresh blueberries.

The pie crust is awesome - I will not lie. Dorie's pie crust is arguably the best pie crust I've ever tasted. It's light, it's flaky, it's delicious... everything I want when I eat pie crust. But making it just increases my stress level dramatically... and that hardly seems worth it. Unless.... Unless... I get a new fancy dancy food processor for my birthday! LOL

So now that you've seen the fruits of my labors (all puns intended) check out the rest of the group who also bakes Tuesdays With Dorie.

Have a delicious day :)