2008-07-29

Summer Fruit Galette - TwD


It's Tuesday and once again I'm baking with Dorie. The question this week... what to do with a bounty of beautiful summer fruits like rhubarb, peaches, nectarines, plums and pluots? The answer... make Dorie's Summer Fruit Galette, of course! I made two separate galettes... one with mixed summer fruits and another dedicated to our fabulously sweet California peaches. With the exception of the rhubarb, I bought all the fruit at Trader Joe's... which means this was one expensive TwD recipe :)

This week, TwD was hosted by Michelle of Michelle in Colorado Springs and what a recipe choice she made! I started off by making Dorie's Good For Almost Everything Pie Crust. I've made this a few times now but this time I had my new food processor that I wrote about in this post here. Having the food processor sure made the dough come together in a flash!!! I'm already wondering how I ever managed without one :)

So while the dough was hanging out in the fridge for an hour, I moved on to washing and slicing the fruit. Since I'd never made a galette before and didn't really know what best to do with that blissful bounty of beautimous fruit , I peeled and cut everything into bite-sized chunks. When in doubt, chunk-it-out!! Hey... that rhymes! I'm a poet and didn't know it ! LOL My mother always says that! LOL! But now I'm a bit worried I'm {gasp} becoming my mother!! Ahem... where was I? Oh yeah... when I put the dough in the fridge, I noticed some leftover berries from making cream cheese stuffed strawberries (recipe here) for my sister and her new beau the other day. The berries were just hanging out in the ol chiller takin up some valuable real-estate and I figured I might as well toss them in the galette cuz, hey, strawberries definitely qualify as a summer fruit!!


Anyway.............. now I'll be the first to admit the chunked up fruit may not make for a really *beautiful* galette... but it certainly does make for easier eating! LOL :) Hmmmm... yanno... now that I'm lookin at it, this picture below looks like a fruit pizza, don'tcha think? Hahahahahaha!!! I just realized my galette looks like a fruit pizza. And I'm drooling over that dollop of whipped cream that sure looks yum!


After I had the fruit all ready it was time to turn my attention back to the dough. Once I had it all rolled it out, I spooned a couple of tablespoons of apricot preserves across the center... gives the galette some additional yumminess... and topped that with some crushed-to-powder honey graham crackers which absorbs a bit of the juice from the fruit and keeps the galette from being all soggy-bottomed... and no one, not even a galette, wants to be all soggy-bottomed ;-)

For the peach galette, I used no preserves since I didn't want anything to impact the fantabulous flavor of the phenomenal fruit (awesome alliteration alright!!)... but I did use the graham cracker crumbs again to prevent soggy-bottom-syndrome :)



Place the fruit on the dough, fold the edges over to form an outer edge then let the dough rest again (sheesh, as much as the dough rests you'd think the DOUGH was doin all the work!). After a few minutes in the freezer, brush the outer edge with water then sprinkle on some sugar and it's time to bake! Part way thru the baking process you add some custard (sorry, I really did not like this custard and when I make this galette again I will omit it entirely) and then bake some more. Finally, at long last, remove from the oven, let it cool for a bit, sprinkle on some powdered sugar or top with some whipped cream... or both... hey, nothin wrong with doin a double-dip when it's time to accessorize the food :) :) Then eat!!!


Thanks again to Melissa for her choice... if you're interested in the recipe check out her blog ... please head over to the Tuesdays With Dorie site and check out how the other TwDers made their summer fruit galettes. And if you wouldn't mind, head over to my friend Jamie's blog to see her handiwork... SHE made a couple of beautiful galettes, no lie, they're gorgeous. Jamie's a brand new TwDer and I'm super excited for her. I really think you'll like her blog - trust me when I say the girl's got mad skilz that'll leave you positively drooly :)

Have a delicious day!