2008-08-26

Chocolate Banded Ice Cream Torte - TwD


If it's Tuesday, I'm baking with Dorie. And this week I squelched my inner rebel and actually baked the recipe pretty much exactly as written. Okay, except for the part where it called for store-bought ice cream and instead I made my own. But that's just a teensy-bit rebellious, right? ;-)

This week Tuesday with Dorie was hosted by Amy of Food, Family and Fun and Dorie's picture in the book is remarkably impressive. The basic idea is layers of ganache and layers of ice cream. Reading thru the recipe, I thought this had to be among the easiest I'd come across. I suppose I should've known better because even though it sounded quick and easy, well, let's just say for me this was not. I take that back... it's not that it wasn't quick and easy, because actually it wasn't difficult. But getting the layers perfectly straight and looking like the picture in Dorie's book? That part was darn near impossible... and I really tried! hahahaha

Since an ice-cream dessert isn't exactly one that can be taken to work and shared with colleagues, I made one-half of the recipe. This amount filled two 4" springform pans.

Overall, the dessert tastes great and I'm glad I made it. I used the ice cream recipe found here (omitting the graham cracker crust pieces) but if I were to make it again I'd whip up a batch of coffee ice cream since DH would love that combination :) Another "lesson learned" is the consistency of the ice cream must make all the difference in the world when it comes to making straight layers. If I were to make this again, I'd be sure the ice cream was at the very "soft"-side of soft-serve ice cream.... to the point of being pourable. I just can't figure how else to get the layers as straight at pictured in Dorie's book. One thing I really disliked about this dessert in general is how quickly it started melting. That made it really difficult to cut, plate and photograph... but did make for an interesting picture ;-)



The full recipe can be found here on hostess Amy's site... and check out the other TwD bakers and their interpretation of the Chocolate Banded Ice Cream Torte.

Have a delicious day :)