2008-08-12

Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream (TwD... sorta?)


If it's Tuesday, then I'm baking with Dorie. But... this week, a funny thing happened on the way to TwD...
This week's Tuesdays with Dorie host was Dolores of Chronicles of Culinary Curiosity who selected the Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream recipe. I love ice cream... and I love making ice cream at home. Since getting my Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Maker attachment for my stand mixer a couple of months ago I've made several different kinds. Vanilla Custard, Mint Chocolate Chip, Strawberry, Bubble Gum, Coffee, Orange Pineapple and even a Lemon Sorbet. So let there be no question as to my love of making home-made ice cream :) I wanted to make the blueberry sour cream ice cream... really, I did. But for a variety of reasons it just wasn't going to happen.

First problem... I didn't have blueberries. Trying to be supportive of this week's TwD recipe, I considered using a different berry since I had a bunch of strawberries from another recipe I just made. I seriously toyed with the idea of strawberry sour-cream ice cream. Then came the second problem... I didn't have sour-cream. Not only didn't I have it... I don't like it... no one in our family likes it and that was a much bigger issue. I thought about just omitting the sour-cream but wasn't sure how that would work out.

While perusing the net I found a variation on blueberry ice cream... blueberry cheesecake ice cream. Oh do I love cheesecake ice cream.... ohhh-boyyy do I :) :) But I didn't have fresh blueberries... only strawberries... so in the final analysis that's how this week I ended up making strawberry cheesecake ice cream. Hey, it's TwD... sorta ;-)


The recipe I used can be found here and I only made about 1/4th of the recipe since I didn't want too much of this on hand. Some things are just way too tempting. The result was most excellent and I will definitely make this again!!! It's smooth and creamy like egg-based custard but without all the time and hassle. My good friend and best-baking-buddy Jamie did her own version of this recipe which you can check out on her blog here. Guess you could say we're both just a couple of TwD "rebels" this week ;-)

Check out the results of the rest of the Tuesdays with Dorie crew... they made some great looking Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream!

Have a delicious day :)