2008-09-21

The Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie


Chocolate chip cookies come in three basic styles... "The Thin"... "The Puffy"... and "The Chewy".  And it's a very personal thing when it comes to what you like.  Unless I'm on a deserted island , I'll not fight you for "the thin"... you can have all of those you want :) While I realize that more than once I've said I'm done with testing out chocolate chip cookie recipes but.. but... but... in my own defense, these are from my boyfriend, Alton. I know... I know... {heavy sigh}... the very last thing I need is another batch of chocolate chip cookies in my house. But ya gotta understand.... these are from Alton Brown... and I just can't resist his recipes. So, purely in the name of research of course, I made them.... and... today, dear readers, I present... "The Chewy"...

One night last week I was catching up on some very old episodes of Alton's show "Good Eats". The particular one I was watching involved different kinds of substitutions and in passing he mentioned his "award winning" episode about the three kinds of chocolate chip cookies. I searched the net and found "Three Chips For Sister Marsha" which I highly recommend to anyone  interested in the rationale behind what makes thin vs. puffy vs. chewy chocolate chip cookies. I decided to test out "The Chewy" and I'm glad I did. They certainly didn't last long because they flew off the platter as if they had wings! I loved them - the hubs loved them - the kids loved them - the neighbors loved them.... I had to set aside and save some for the photos and to do that I almost had to resort to *hiding* them! LOL! I didn't store them any fancy way, in fact, I purposely let them sit on the counter... uncovered... for three days to see how that would effect them. I'm happy to report they were still chewy and delicious :)  I followed the recipe to the letter, making absolutely no additions nor modifications whatsoever.  Three days later they were still chewy and delicious - I'm not talking "dried out" chewy, I'm talkin "moist-flavorful-delicious" chewy.  Depending on what kind of cookie you like, these might be worth making.  I know they were to me :)



The Chewy
Alton Brown

Ingredients
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Hardware:
Ice cream scooper (#20 disher, to be exact)
Parchment paper
Baking sheets
Mixer

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.


Have a delicious day!